- The purpose of this lesson is to emphasize the need and benefit of the child of God to be present to worship God in the assembly.
- Jesus, the Son of God saw the need of regular public worship. (Lk4:16). We follow Jesus and we too can recognize the need to assemble for worship.
- There is great value and benefit to be derived from private worship, but this can never override the fact that God has ordained regular public worship for our spiritual well-being.
A. Why should I attend EVERY service of the church?
- Because I NEED the spiritual food offered.
- I should have a strong desire for such food. (1 Pet 2:2-3; Mt 4:4-5; 5:6; Ps 119:172; Rom 1:16)
- The exceeding value of God's Word is seen in Psalms 119:14, 16, 24, 72, 97-105.
- This Word can save my soul. (Jam 1:21)
- This Word can enrich my life. (Col 1:9-11)
- The Word will keep me from falling. (2 Pet 1:5-11; 2:20-22; Mt 13:20-23)
- The Word is my weapon against temptation. (Ps 119:11; Mt 4:4,7,10)
- The Word will give me victory over the world. (1 Jn 5:4; Rom 10:17)
- The Word will help me to grow. (2 Pet 3:18)
- In view of all these facts, it is only natural that I would want to be present at every service where the wonderful Word is being taught.
B. I want to cooperate with and be in subjection to those who watch for my soul.
- God has given this awesome responsibility to the elders. (Heb 13:17)
- They are to feed the flock. To fulfill that responsibility, they must provide regular and balanced feeding. Just as parents are concerned when their children fail to eat as they should, elders are concerned over Christians who forsake and neglect those feeding periods. (Acts 20:28; Heb 5:12-14)
C. God has COMMANDED me not to FORSAKE the assembly. (Heb 10:25)
D. I have a responsibility to fulfill my obligation to my brethren.
- God's plan calls for the ACTIVE PART1CIPA TION of every member. (Eph 4:16)
- The ACTIVITY of the local congregation depends upon the activity of each MEMBER.
- The STRENGTH of the local congregation depends upon the strength of each MEMBER.
- MY DILIGENCE and STEADFASTNESS will strengthen the church. (1 Cor 15:58)
E. The church is a fellowship (1 Cor 1:2, 9). Fellowship is "joint participation". I have fellowship with others to the EXTENT that I JOINTLY PARTICIPATE in the WORK and WORSHIP of the local church. (Acts 2:42)
F. I owe it to those I will influence (Mt 5:13-14^. To convince the world of the value of being a Christian, 1 must DEMONSTRA TE before the world that I AM CONVINCED OF ITS VALUE! (Phil 2:14-16)
G. Question, is it a sin if I miss service?
- This question usually reflects a poor attitude; the attitude of wanting to do only those things positively required to meet the bare minimums to satisfy Jesus.
- There are a number of things wrong when a Christian willfully absents himself/herself. Forsaking the assembly is disobedience to God. You have missed the Lord's Supper, singing, the benefits of teaching and opportunity to stir up love and good works in my brethren. (Heb 10:24-25; 1 Cor 11:17-34)
- Actually, if my attitude is right, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. David has the attitude I want to have. (Ps 122:1; 84:10; 27:4)
- Worship is a great privilege and blessing. I want to be with those who love Jesus, love the brethren and love God's Word and His Kingdom. (Mt 18:20; 1 Pet 1:22; Mt 5:6; 6:33)
H. Does God have a "Dress Standard or Code"?
- When we became a Christian, many things changed in our lives!! One of those areas in which we must reflect change is in the way we dress. Our appearance does say something about us\! (Look at what we are to be before the world - Phil 2:5, Mt 5:16)
- Our appearance is very important - it reflects our thinking and attitude. Rom 12:1-2
- God would have us to dress in such a fashion as to reflect modesty and propriety, not like our culture or society. 1 Tim 2:9-10
- When we come together in service to God, we need to dress appropriately for the occasion. It doesn't mean to dress in formal wear, but, that which is appropriate. How would we dress if we were going to meet a President or a King? Would we dress any less appropriate when we meet the King of Kings and Lord of lords in worship?
Conclusion: If pleasing God is our goal, we'll be present to worship Him in spirit and truth!!